Permits are not required for all tree cutting and trimming. Please refer to the following link for accurate information. http://www.miamigov.com/planning/treeprotection.html
Familiarize yourself with the Tree Protection Chapter 17 in the Miami Code of Ordinances:
If you observe a possible violation:
- Ask to see the tree cutting permit to verify that cutting is code compliant.
- If no permit is produced, ask tree trimmer to stop work until a permit is obtained and contact the property owner. Sometimes new owners are not aware of the tree cutting restrictions in Coconut Grove so your intervention would be helpful.
- Take a photo of the trees involved. Do not trespass onto private property to take photographs or gather information.
- Collect and preserve information about tree trimming service involved (name of company, phone number, license number or whatever is available or take a photo of vehicle with pertinent information).
- Contact Department of Code Compliance 305-416-2087 or 311.
- If no response, contact Quatisha Oguntoyinbo-Rashad- She has been very responsive and helpful in the past.
Chief of Environmental Resources 305-416-2038
- The NET Office, Madelin Pacheco@miamigov.com, Administrator, (305) 960-4670.
- As a last resort, call the police non-emergency number 305-579-6111.
Helpful Contacts for Tree Protection
Tree Protection Contact
Chief of Environmental Resources Contact
Helpful Links for Tree Protection
How do I find out if a property has a tree permit?
Please contact the Environmental Resources Division at 305-416-1551 or website at http://portal.miamigov.com/landmanagement
Tree Permit Process